Pages

Sunday, September 30, 2018

My ATI-TEAS Study Schedule & Tips



                            


Good Morning, Babes!

              It's about that time of year where us nursing undergrads begin to prep for the exam that determines the next step in our career- the TEAS exam. I've been super nervous about this exam but have come to realize, it's just another stepping stone towards the bigger goal. Some nursing students, depending on which school you're applying to, consider between taking the TEAS or the HESI exam. I would strongly recommend on looking up your school requirements before paying that $100 nonrefundable exam-registration fee.
            Being an obsessive organizer I made my own study schedule depending on my personal time-line of how I was wanting to study for the exam. Of course everyone has different schedules and study availability, but feel free to twist and turn my schedule into your own. 

WHAT IS THE TEAS?...

       The ATI-TEAS is a 3.5 hour (give or take) exam that tests your general knowledge over 4 main subjects- Reading Comprehension, Mathematics Skills, Science Skills, and everyone's favorite Grammar Skills. I've broken down the details down below.

                             


The cool thing about the TEAS is that only a portion of each section is graded, so not every question counts. This gives you a bit of wiggle room and eases up some of that performance pressure. 
       Now each section has their own topics that they would like you to know. I'm going to recommend an amazing study guide & test book that includes 3 practice exams and chapters that covers each topic specifically. You can find it HERE!! (ATI TEST BOOK)



MY STUDY SCHEDULE...5 WEEKS OUT

        I started preparing for my TEAS exam about 5-6 weeks out mostly because I'm taking some pretty advanced classes this semester and I wanted some wiggle room. A lot of other nursing students that I've asked feel comfortable starting just 3 weeks out-it really just depends on how many hours a day you can dedicate to study-time. My study schedule is completely based off of the structure and chapters covered in the test book I linked (up above) so like I said, everything is super flexible. 



           When I started studying for the exam I had about 39 days to prepare, so I spread out the three practice exams that come with the test book for every 12 days. This gives me about 2 days of review and clarification before the actual exam. The rest of the schedule, in October, isn't planned until I finish with September only because I want to analyze and schedule study-days according to my weaknesses and strengths from my first practice exam.
       
   

MY TIPS...


      (1)My biggest tip for you is to incorporate a little bit of test-prep in every day! It gets exhausting having to balance school, test-prep, work, and a personal life but allowing yourself to do little by little each day saves you a lot of stress later down the line. 
      (2) Please, please, please do not cram for this exam! It's an overwhelming amount of material and cramming (although sometimes unavoidable) is toxic to your mental and physical health. 
      (3)Please take things slow, keep things interesting (pictures, coloring, color-coding) and take breaks! You're allowed to retake this exam up to 3 times in a year, so if need-be you have more chances and opportunities to improve!



I wish you the best of luck and always feel free to email/dm me any questions you may have! Get to studying!🤓


XOXO, A

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I’m just finished my A.A degree & im hoping to take my TEAS somewhere in Feburary. I’m super nervous & stressed out, but your post help alleviate that

    ReplyDelete